I heart Oregon.

I think it’s finally starting to hit me that we’re moving soon.  Don’t get me wrong, I am about 90% super excited about it.  But I’m starting to have the realization that the other 10% is really not so excited, it’s actually pretty nervous and sad.  Not to sound like a horrible person, but it’s not the idea of leaving people that I’m sad about – don’t get me wrong, there are a lot of people here that I care about and will miss, but I’ve moved around a lot in my life and know that even though I can’t see people face to face anymore, it doesn’t mean my relationships end.  I still have so much love in my heart for friends and family I haven’t seen in weeks, days, and years.  I also know that there will also be amazing people wherever I go.  Relationships are something I can take with me.  But I’m feeling sad about some of the things that I can’t.

My private practice.  Having a practice of my own was the end goal, the dream job.  To think that I did it in my twenties is crazy to me!  I’m not sure I can describe what it feels like to take absolutely nothing and create a living for yourself.  It’s pretty awesome.  And I love working with couples.  It is tough, but not the “I hate my job” kind of tough, it’s the “I’m doing an incredibly hard but awesome thing” tough.

Food.  One of my favorite things about exploring new places is finding delicious places to eat, and Portland of course has not let me down.  Waffle Window, Por que no tacos, Screen Door, Salt&Straw, Mother’s (yes I know, Portlandia snobs, that these are cliche places but theres a reason they are cliche – they’re DELICIOUS).  Also I’m really trying hard not to think about how I won’t be able to have a Burgerville Chocolate Hazelnut shake next January.

Donuts.  Yes, they deserve a category all on their own.  If you want a donut, fly to Portland now.  Don’t discriminate.  There is not such thing as a bad donut.  There is such a thing as a not good donut, but not a bad one.

Nature.  I’m no tree hugger.  Chop those babies up and build some apartments if it means my rent will go down. (K, I really did get mad when they chopped the trees down in front of my house, but I think they put something in the water here.  It also makes you want to buy a Prius).  I really do love the green and the mountains here, though.  And Oregon really has some of the most beautiful sunsets.

Roses.  Also deserve their own category.  I absolutely loved growing roses in my garden in our house.  They are tricky and require special care, but at the same time are super easy to grow here.  And the Rose Garden here has to be one of my favorite places on earth.  It also smells like heaven.

The weather.  Wait, what am I saying?  This summer has been sooo HOT – for Portland. Which means a mere 24 days in the 90s.  And it barely rained this winter!  Also the world stops when it even sort-of snows, which I love.  Even though I was terrified of moving to this rainy place, I will admit that Oregon is wonderfully mild.

Trips to Seattle, Vancouver, the coast, the mountains. Some of my favorite memories of living here are actually getting away from here.

Sadly I probably won’t even realize everything I’ll miss until its gone.  I’m going to try to savor it all for the next few months and trust that soon I’ll have a long list of things I love about Florida.

1398003_10101106449069169_362530356_o 10428532_10101759073793989_3083902728812275421_n 10436337_10101726185332729_5476810319855426687_n 11008766_10101942245241939_4060400767512963678_n 11082473_10101907011800039_2661513458966039089_n 11845147_10102137977862199_8580431670952458183_o

FullSizeRender

Advertisements

One thought on “I heart Oregon.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s